Friday, November 2, 2012

It's Snowing Again... Ugh. So Here, Have a Recipe

It's snowing... AGAIN. Ugh. So sick of the white stuff already. I'm kind of hoping I get used to this crap, but I'm thinking I really won't.

So as I'm trying to occupy myself from the dreaded wasteland of winter raging outside, I decided to kill time in my new favorite way.... PINTEREST!!! :)

And since our apple tree is most definitely dormant now, and all the apples are picked off it and just sitting on my counter... I couldn't help but search for a recipe so I could do SOMETHING with these apples. Oh hey, how about applesauce? Yummy!

So here's what I did:

We used the last of the apples off our tree, and they're about medium size. So, for this recipe, I'd recommend 6 medium apples, or 4 large. Our tree gives honey crisp apples; other websites can help you determine what apples make the best sauce. Usually they say go for a firm apple, that is sweet. Softer apples will work, but will require less water and have the potential to make a more runny sauce, instead of a nice thick one.

Peel and core the apples, then chop into small pieces. About 1/2 square inch or smaller. This part is the hardest. No, seriously!

Place all your nicely chopped apples into a large pot. Preferably a pot that has a matching lid. Add about a cup of water, half cup of sugar (I used brown sugar), a tablespoon of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of honey. Mix well. If you don't want the sauce very sweet, feel free to omit the honey and use a bit less sugar. This is totally at your discretion.

Then, set on medium heat and cover. Set a timer for 15 minutes, but check it often. After the fifteen minutes, give it a good stir. Try to mash a bit of apple with your spoon at the side of the pot. If it mushes easily, you're done! If it doesn't, set your timer for another 15 minutes and check often. By then, it should be good and ready.

Now, if you want a smooth applesauce, I'd recommend using a food processor or a blender or even a beater if you have one, something to really get a nice consistency. But if you like chunky applesauce, a potato masher or fork will do just fine for this part. GET MASHING!!! :)

Go ahead and transfer this tasty mixture into a Tupperware bowl, give it a lid, and put it in your fridge. Now, let it get nice and cold (about 3 hours or so) before digging in. I'd wager a guess that this yields about 8 servings or so. But I'm rubbish at figuring out servings. Or, you could just say to hell with servings, and devour the whole bowl in one go. Who am I to judge?

Enjoy! Let me know if you add/change anything about this recipe, and how it turns out. Next time I might add some strawberries! Hmm....

For your viewing pleasure:

No comments:

Post a Comment