Monday, December 3, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness: Let's Get You Home

Being new to Fargo, I can count my friends on one hand. Okay, one finger. That being Boyfriend. So, in an effort to fight my incredible pathetic lonliness, I started using the internet to meet people. I actually scored pretty good when I found Friend. (Yup, no names.). Anyway, Friend and I have been talking for about a month or so and finally decided to meet up at her place for an evening of baking cookies and BSing.

She actually lives over in MN, but because Fargo is walking distance from MN, it wasn't really a big deal. I texted her when I was leaving my house and when I was about 5 minutes away, my GPS lost signal. Craaaaap. Luckily, she chose that moment to call me. The phone conversation when something like this:

Me: Oh hey! Umm I'm lost.
Her: SHIT you already left?
Me: I told you that. Hang on my GPS is talking
Her & my GPS: asiufhpewiourfnasdfn
Me: Yeah I didn't catch that.
Her: I said my friend is drunk and needs a ride home. I'll give you gas money for your trouble coming over here but I gotta go get him.
Me: F--- that. Let's go. Where's he at?
Her: Wait... what?
Me: OH HANG ON I GOT MY GPS SIGNAL BACK-- Crap nevermind. But yeah, I'll figure out where your place is, grab your shoes and purse, and we'll go get your friend. I'm pretty sure if he's as drunk as you say he is, it's gonna take two people to get his drunk ass home and in bed.

So after lots of "What do you see? Well what street are you on? Are you facing north? Did you pass a grocery store?" I realized I was one signal light too far and I was able to flip a U and arrive at her apt. I make too many U-Turns.

So I get there, we meet for the first time, I pretty much adore Friend instantly, and I'm like okay, let's grab your stuff and go get this dude. As she was gathering her keys, he phoned and ended up getting a cab, and I was kind of disappointed. You know me... any excuse to drive my car and I'll take it. :P But really, Friend meant a lot to me and I wanted to make sure her friend was okay.

So next time someone needs a ride home, or someone is drunk, and their friend tries to bail on your plans, just bite the bullet and do it together. Besides, two people will probably be necessary. Have YOU ever tried to drag a drunk person to their bed? Yeah, not an easy one-person job. :) Make the best of a crappy situation.

And for your viewing pleasure....


No comments:

Post a Comment