Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness: The Barista

These days, Starbucks is just about its own food group. The word Starbucks has come to almost replace "coffee". For example, Friend A says: "Whatcha drinkin'?" and Friend B responds, "Oh, a Starbucks." Surely you've heard this before, maybe even said it. Much like Kleenex, Duck Tape, and Band-Aids, the brand name is becoming synonymous with the product.

But let's pause a moment and think, while we're sipping these yummy, Skinny Lo-Cal Diet Soy Latte No Foam with 2 Shots of Espresso and a Splash of Caramel (or whatever it is you order), those poor baristas are working long hours, on their feet, being yelled at for "wrong" orders, trying to keep 10-word+ orders straight, for minimum wage. And most of the Starbucks I visit seem to be staffed exclusively with young people, college-age kids. Either they must REALLY need that job, or they must enjoy what they do, because frankly, the service industry sucks. I LOVE customer service positions, but the reality is, any way you slice it, there's always the asshole customers who are just out to ruin your day. Or so it seems.

Now, Random Acts of Kindness are becoming increasingly popular. If you haven't heard about this philosophy or way of life, then go here and educate yourself. A lot of these ideas are on the extreme side or require a little more effort than the average lazy American is willing to put forth, myself included. But when I visit Starbucks, I consistently make my barista smile by doing this one, easy thing.

I give them free reign of my order.

For example:

"Welcome to Starbucks hon, what can I get started for you?"

"Whatever you wanna make me."

"Pardon?"

"I trust you. Get creative. Have fun. I'll pay, even if I don't like it. I just ask...."
And here's I'll specify I'm lactose intolerant and I don't care much for caramel, but if there's a little, that's OK. Sometimes I'll ask specifically for a hot or chilled drink, depending on the temperature outside.

Every time I get a new drink, something different. I've had a raspberry white mocha frappaccino with vanilla, something the barista called "Liquid Cinnamon Roll", and a lovely mix of blackberry, lemonade, green tea, and passion fruit juice. There have been countless other drinks, hot and cold, coffee and tea, etc. It never gets boring because it's different every time.

Day in and day out, baristas are told what to do and how to do it. I've heard customers even specify the number of pumps of syrup they want! It gets a little ridiculous. By asking my barista to do whatever she/he wants, they gain freedom and flexibility and it's FUN! I'll stand up at the counter and chat with them, ask how their day is, what they're putting in my drink, comment on the weather, whatever. It's a nice break of the  monotony, always making whatever is on the menu when quite literally, the possibilities are endless.

And when my drink is done, I'll let it cool if hot and take a sip. I've never had a drink I didn't like. For the effort put forth, I always leave SOMETHING in the tip jar. Sometimes all I have is some spare change, and sometimes I can put a dollar or two in there. And I always thank my barista by name for their creativity and effort.

I've been concerned before the upcharges could get ridiculous; I mean, my barista could choose to charge me for every pump of sugar, every ounce of coffee, and every shot of espresso. More often than not, though, I'm simply charged for a "latte + flavor" or "frappaccino + soy". This isn't always the case, but either way I've never paid more than $5 and change for a drink.

This is so fun, and so easy, and such a different way to brighten someones day. Imagine if YOU were at work, doing whatever job you do, and a customer or your boss says "Ya know, with this project, I'm giving you free reign. You do whatever you think best." How gratifying and exciting it must be!

No comments:

Post a Comment